Cameroon: Cardiovascular Care
Population: 24.05 million
The disease table of Cameroon is dominated by cardiovascular diseases, cancers, accidents, and traumas. The upsurge of health emergencies is generally related to epidemics, traumas, movements of populations, and floods. To achieve national and international objectives in matters of health (MDGs, GESP) and progress towards Universal Health-care Coverage, Cameroon has equipped itself with a Strategy for the Health Sector (SSH) 2016-2027. Its vision is as follows: “A country wherein universal access to quality health services is guaranteed for all social groups by 2035 with the full participation of communities”. It will be translated in the strengthening of the health system and the implementation of essential basic and specialized priority health interventions.
- There are an estimated .083 doctors per 1,000 population and .52 nurses and midwives per 1,000 population.
- Infant mortality rate (per 1,000 live birth): 50.6
- Under-5 mortality rate (per 1,000 live births): 79.7
*Estimates Developed by the UN Inter-agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation (UNICEF, WHO, World Bank, UN DESA Population Division)
In Cameroon, USFC is working to renovate the Yaounde General Hospital and plans to establish a cardiac surgery department for adults and children are well underway. The Ministry of Health in Cameroon has also asked USFC to train medical, paramedical technical and administrative staff.
- The Yaounde Hospital’s Heart Surgery Department will provide care for children and adults with serious heart conditions/diseases
- It will be a reference in the field of heart surgery in Cameroon, encouraging the development of modern medical structures in the country through the introduction of new hospital management technologies.
- It will improve the living conditions of the Cameroonian population, reducing mortality through early screenings and on-site care and treatment.
The heart surgery department at Yaounde Hospital will include the following units and services:
- A cardiovascular diagnostic unit
- A surgical technical platform
- An intensive care unit
- An imaging unit equipped for coronary angiography and cardiology procedures
- A state-of-the-art imaging unit with CT and MRI
- A blood analysis laboratory and blood bank
- A training and research unit
The unit will also be equipped with a technical platform that will allow for international collaboration among practitioners.